Monday, August 1, 2011

Grape Jelly Nails!

Happy Monday, everyone! Hope you had a good one! I apologize for not posting yesterday. I took my 3 year old to the splash park in the afternoon and last night our power got knocked out in a killer storm for almost 10 hours. :/ But, I have pretty nails to show you today to make up for it!

I saw this post from Dizzy Nails and wanted to try something similar. I recently purchased Sally Hansen Xtreme Purple Pizzazz and hadn't tried it yet. I also had OPI Last Friday Night that came with my Katy Perry collection so I could almost duplicate this mani(I didn't have the Clarins top coat, but figured it would still look nice without it). But, when I started planning these nails, I realized that I wanted to try to sandwich OPI Teenage Dream glitter in between both layers of Purple Pizzazz because I love how much glitter is in it compared to Last Friday Night. So here they are(while holding my new favorite water bottle I got at Target)!

The idea is to sandwich a glitter polish layer in between jelly polish layers so the glitter can be seen through the top layer, and still seem part of the original color and not a top coat. We decided it looked almost like grape jelly indoors. Please click to enlarge and see the glitter more!

I used:
Base Coat: OPI Nail Envy
Base and top color: Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Purple Pizzazz
Glitter Later: OPI Teenage Dream
Top Coat: Seche Vite

I had to do two coats of Purple Pizzazz before the glitter layer because it's a jelly and it streaked on me.

Heidi was over and decided to try out my new NYC Big Apple Red. We've been on the search for the perfect red lately and aren't having great luck. A lot seem too pink, and others too orangy. We are hoping some of the holiday collections will have a red we really like. I think her nails look great in this color, but it still seems too light to me. This was 3 coats:


Thanks for reading!!
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried the red from the Wet N' Wild Grafitti collection? It is seriously a 1950's retro red and I LOVE it - I'll post swatches tomorrow *winks*. I am so in love with your grape jelly sandwich. I don't own a jelly but I now REALLY need to. Hrmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't tried that red! I would love to see the swatches, thanks!! And this may be the only jelly that I own that I know of, but I only knew it was a jelly because of the dizzy nails post calling it one. I didn't know what a "jelly" even was a few days ago. I would like to get some more now because there are a lot of possibilites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we used the Red from the justin beiber line for OPI for our fourth of july nails... it was pretty red and goes on really well... i'm pretty sure we only used one coat, plus base and clear top coat..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Cali, thanks! I need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a Sally Hanson Insta-Dri in Rapid Red that looks awesome even on my skintone (natural redhead)

    ReplyDelete