Friday, July 12, 2013

Digit-al Dozen DOES Tape Day 5: Matte vs. Shiny!

Hello, readers! It's the final day of Tape Week with the Digit-al Dozen! I think I've loved this week so much because of the simplicity and I think everyone can recreate the looks I've been showing!

This final post is something I've wanted to try for a while and just never did. Matte vs. Shiny-- as in, part of the nail design matted and the other part top coated for the shiny contrast. I used another untried for this post: Manglaze Lesbihonest. I only have a few Manglaze polishes but they are gorgeous mattes and I really like them! They don't play well with Rejuvacote base coat, though, and crackle like a crackle polish, so wear them without base coat on the bare nail for best results.


  • I started out with two coats of Manglaze Lesbihonest.
  • Let completely dry because you can't use quick dry top coat on top! I think I waited like 2 hours!
  • I used craft scissors to cut tape in a fun line and applied verically on the center line of the nails.
  • I then painted one coat of HK Girl Top Coat over the untaped side and carefully peeled the tape off.
  • For some added contrast, I used a dotting tool and more top coat to do some dots on the matte side of the nails.
It was really easy and a subtle, but fun, nail design. It was also really hard to photograph.




Have you tried this look before? Thanks for reading! I hope you've enjoyed Tape Week as much as I have! 



Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. wow i have never seen this before, its so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute design. I have never tried a tape mani as I am still having issues with the tape cutting. My tape needs body and it simply folds instead of cutting with my craft scissors. I love the shiny/matte contrast though. I bet is is a bugger to try to capture on film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Subtle and beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dots in the arches are the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You created a perfect 3D effect, amazing!!

    ReplyDelete