Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Digit-al Dozen DOES Childhood, Day 2: One Fish, Two Fish...

Good afternoon, readers! Are you ready for my second Childhood Week mani? This was inspired by one of our [many] favorite books written by Dr. Seuss-- One fish  two fish  red fish  blue fish. I recreated the fish from the cover of the book. Growing up, and now as a parent, Dr. Seuss books have been a big part of our home library. We even have this one in 2 formats--Owen has the board book and we have the regular hardcover on Hailey's shelves.
Here is a quick picture I snapped with my phone of the book and my mani, in case you are somehow not familiar with this 1960s kid book:
 


Here's how I did it:

  • I started out with a base of OPI I Just Can't Cope-acabana and let dry.
  • Then, I decided to finally try some acrylic craft paint. WOW! I feel like I've been missing out on so much by not having this before. The black line work was SO MUCH EASIER without polish drying and gooping up. Definitely changed my nail art life. So I used white, black, red, green (mixed with some yellow), blue, and blue mixed with white for the colors you see here.
  • The nail art brush I used was the Pure Color Glamor No. 1.
  • After the paint was completely dry, I added one coat of Rica Glossy Glam top coat to seal it all in. Acrylic paint will wash off if you don't add top coat.


What do you think? I am so beyond proud of how these turned out. It took me a couple hours because the paint is so different that my polish nail art but I hope to get better in time as I get more used to it. Thank you so much for reading! Come back tomorrow for Day 3 of Childhood Week with The Digit-al Dozen!

Below you can see what the other ladies did for Day 2:

Pin It!

19 comments:

  1. These are amazing! Are you sure you didn't cut the pictures out from the cover? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gawd these are AWESOME! When I first look I thought they had to be decals. They are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW these are seriously AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! They look EXACTLY like the illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'm really impressed, you're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! I felt the same way the first time I tried acrylic paint, and it definitely shows in how amazingly this came out :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought those were decals! You did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beyond perfection! It is like you photocopied the images on to your nails! You can never go wrong with Dr. Suess and childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are UNBELIEVABLE! These are just 100% fabulous. Love Dr Seuss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so amazed at this. Seriously kicks ass!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg this is amazingly accurate!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness! This is amazing! I love Dr Suess!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. just unbelievable detail! If I didn't already envy your skills, i really would now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE! Dr. Seuss has always been one of my favorites and your portrayed this book perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is an amazing painting! And yes dear, acrylic paint definitely changed our nail art life ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you tried the paint, and these are wonderful. Really amazing...I also am partial to the book!

    ReplyDelete